[hist-analytic] Popper, Historicism, etc.

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Tue Sep 14 07:36:19 EDT 2010

Brandon,

Let me reply to a couple of your points, roughly in the order in which they are raised. I don't think philosophers of history are into predicting the future. If anything, it is quite the opposite: retrodiction. So I think you should rethink your skepticism a bit.

You can find historians who are attempting to grasp a "simple intuition," but I can't think of one. Any ideas as to who might hold this view? Not all philosophers of history are spiritualists <g>, except maybe me. When the questions of philosophy of history are addressed by the guys with the "telescopes" then I'll subsume it under astronomy, physics, whatever, but so far there isn't much going on here, at least from what you've suggested, other than faith in science in dealing with philosophical questions of history. Indeed, it is the asymmetries of science and history that provoked the Hempel/Dray dispute which as far as I can tell had an outcome that favored the historians over the physicists. But that is a long story. By the way, Dray in on Hist-Analytic.

We have to distinguish guys like Dray from Hegel; both are philosphers of history; they are surely different, fundamentally.

You say Popper doesn't address a certain "critique," but I'm not sure what critique you are talking about. Could you be more specific? I used to agree with your view of Popper, but I have changed my mind. I think it is brilliant at places; far more informative and interesting to the politically minded than, say, Burke, who bores me to death. Your criticisms of Popper, I think, could be "sharpened" up a bit. I can't find any specific claims, textual references etc.

Moreover, I see no evidence that Popper didn't read Burke very well. What is it in Burke about nature that you have in mind? We need some specifics.

Regards

STeve