[hist-analytic] ***SPAM*** Re: Analytic Philosophy of History

steve bayne baynesrb at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 17 12:42:07 EDT 2010

A quick reply to Speranza. First, a softening of my reply to Brandon. Popper's view of Aristotle as unoriginal, kinda stupid, etc. is simply wrong by any reasonable standard of evidence. To cite Plato's Sophist as anticipatory of Aristotle's syllogism is ridiculous, for example. Kneale an Kneale The Development of Logic do the best job yet, as far as I can tell giving the relevant details. There is a connection - who could deny it. But Aristotle's use of variables was the first such use outside of pure mathematics and his rules for the three forms are nowhere to be found in Plato. Now on to thermidor.

What I'm up to here is something a bit different than the kind of "analysis" which, I think, Speranza has in mind. My objective in all this is to drive a wedge between Popper's methodological indiviudalism and his theory of explanation. That is: I want to advocate a singularist theory of causation that dispenses with methodological individualism. To do this I will locate singular causation not in the individual agent, since I don't think persons can be "individuated" in the usual sense, but in the idea of the present for each body OF a person. In other words, the "individualism" reduces (in some sense) to singular causation; agents become processes integral to the causal process and, as such, are not persons. I reject the primacy of naturalized epistemology as a dead end. I can't take up some of these issues here and now. I just wanted to give a sketch of the general picture I have in mind: a historicism that does not rely on rejecting methodological
 individualism, but relocates it in processes involving singular causation, etc.

Steve Bayne