[hist-analytic] Quine on Experience and Consciousness

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Sat Oct 9 20:35:30 EDT 2010

Just a quick point on Quine and what is "evidential." Note the difference between what can serve as "evidential" and what can serve as a "check" (Quine uses both in a seemingly systematic way). A check may be evidence sufficient for belief. There is much more to be said but both are related, ultimately, to observation, for which there is no check nor evidence, understood is a certain way. All this is very slippery. I'm wadding through it a bit. Looking at some of Quine's criticism of pythagorian extremism.

By the way, Grice's paper on the self is remarkably good, a truly wonderful paper. Why isn't it in WOW. Also, his remarkably good paper on perception, as I recall, was butchered in WOW. Also, by the way, note how MANY times Quine (in a paper done in the thirties "Truth by Convention") uses "ordinary usage." Ordinary usage provides the domain of a proxy function (in an attenuated sense, of course). Still, Quine is doing more than playing with axiomatic systems ala Carnap.