[hist-analytic] Thoughts on the Later Wittgenstein

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Tue Dec 14 13:24:00 EST 2010

Here are a couple of remarks extracted pretty much at random from my notebooks. They are less than half-baked. As Levi-Strauss might have said they are "raw and uncooked."

***
There is no coming to be in pain; there is coming to understand. The latter is a mental process; pain, if it is mental at all, is a mental state. 'A pain' is the event which occurs when the state of pain passes. There is a "velocity" to coming to understand; there is only duration associated with a mental state. This might account for Wittgenstein's seeming confusion at PI. p. 59, footnote.

***
We might think of a variety of formulas providing an algebraic interpretation of any continuation of a series; but we should also keep in mind nonalgebraic cases, cases where a given interpretation (a formula) may have an entire family of corresponding functions. Here I have in mind anti-derivatives, where e.g. '1+x' can have an entire family of "interpretations," one for each value of 'C' in 'x + 1/2x^2 + C'. Family resemblance in mathematics? There are implications here for "Kripkenstein."

***
Consider Wittgenstein (PI 386). My reaction: There is a critical difference between a man who claims to have the image of some color in mind and a man who claims to have a color in mind. The failure of the man in each case to be able to point to such a color differs from that of the other. In the latter case the man may have in mind a color not occurring in nature, whereas the other man can only claim to have an image of a color if at least one thing, even if it is only that particular image, has THAT color. The man who merely has a color in mind does not proceed in accordance with some rule; the other man acts in accordance with the image.

Regards

Steve Bayne