[hist-analytic] Correction: Re: A posteriori knowledge of necessary truths

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Sun Dec 19 07:51:50 EST 2010

I'll get back, as best I can, other posts. This was the first that popped up; probably because it is most recent.

On the first point, Bruce and I are not in agreement. At least I don't believe we are. When I say "one particular sort" this is what Bruce seems to be referring to when he uses 'some'. My point was to contrast identity statements and all other statements. So, in (5), 'p' stands for any identity statement, where the identity flanks names. In this class of cases a posteriori knowledge entails the necessity of the known on the view under discussion. Now the second point which is more important.

The argument for a posteriori necessary truths in its strongest form goes like this:

I know a=b, aposteriori
'a=b' is true
Since 'a=b' is true it is necessary
Therefore, there is a proposition which I both know a posteriori and necessary;
so there is a posteriori knowledge of a necessary truth. Briefly,

p is necessary
I Know p, aposteriori,
Therefore, There is some p such that p is necessary and I know it a posteriori.

Here the problem is that the quantifier quantifies-in; AND in addition, there is an assumption that what is known and what is necessary are one and the same thing. However, quantifying into the opaque domain involves problems with satisfying identity (individuating) conditions making it very doubtful that what is necessary is *identical* to what is believed. The first conjunct above is a straightforward de dicto necessity; the second is a straightforward de re contingency. The connection between 'p' in those two is suspect.