[hist-analytic] 'Wobbly'

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Sun Dec 19 19:24:22 EST 2010

Before I could agree or disagree with your initial take on 'wobbly', I'd have to know more precisely what you mean by 'emergent'. So I'm leaving that alone, for now.

I do have a couple of more or less casual remarks on you Sally case. I think Sally can fail a test without having any disposition to fail a test. I believe the dispositional analysis of, e.g., psychological predicates has gained us very little since Ryle. In addition, there are problems with how to analyse many dispositions; e.g. "finkish" dispositions; problems with counterfactual analyses, etc.

You remark:

'"A mental property is a property that depends on the there being minds" - What do you mean by that?'

I mean, merely, that mental properties do not exist in mindless worlds.

Emergence is an interesting topic in itself; much to involved for this note; but if you care to an expansion on what you take this to mean and what you would do with it would be interesting to know.