[hist-analytic] A posteriori knowledge of necessary truths

steve bayne baynesrb at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 22 09:54:12 EST 2010

Just a couple of brief comments. The holiday season is complicating everything. First, on method.

The philosophers who know logic best (Kripke, Putnam, Van Fraasen, etc) are not using logical reconstruction, significantly. Part of the problem is that constructing one of these systems is a lot of work and the real thinking takes place not in where to put the subscripts, which variables to use, whether to use standard or non-standard quantifiers (branching say), but rather in the analysis that affords this as a possibility. So you look at how guys like, say Dowty (first class formal semanticist), treats context and you get so hung up in lamda operators, etc. that you waste a month on "house keeping." In addition, a lot of problems in philosophy simply do not have a solution in semantics. The whole movement, in my opinion, is passe. Good philosophers, like Jaegon Kim, McDowell, Aune, Dretske, are not building systems; they are addressing in a very technical way problems of general philosophy.

Let me ask you this: what is the greatest accomplishment of formal philosophy in the last twenty or so years. Where is the pay off? I'm simply not seeing it. One is better off reading James on psychology than fiddling with the formalization of embedded verbs, say, in contexts of propositional attitude. You remark:

"If indeed we cannot know that a term designates the same
thing in every possible world then there can be no rigid
designation."

While I am very skeptical of "worlds" I should point out that Kripke has a solution: he argues that worlds are "stipulated" counterfactually taking objects in the real world as objects of counterfactual stipulation. So he can argue that *this* term in *this* world is rigid, and therefore designates the same thing in all worlds in which it designates at all. Again, outside of de dicto modalities I suspect Quine's objections against quantified modal logic have merit; but I haven't looked at this in a while.