[hist-analytic] Deflationary Truth and Syncategoremata

Landspeedrecord landspeedrecord at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 20:49:55 EST 2010

I wasn't saying your remarks were senseless!  I was saying that deflationary
theories of truth literally have no sense to me in that there is no
conceptual framework I can wrap my brain around that does not substitute the
idea of deflation with that of suspension.  In other words, the only way I
can make sense of deflationary theories is to think of them as being
"suspensionary" theories of truth, in which case it all seems silly to me.
 Rather than challenging any notions, I was more admitting a SERIOUS
cognitive gap on my part hoping that someone will clue me in on what I am
not getting about deflationary theories of truth.

As for the word 'poor', in my prior email I was always using it to mean
'lacking wealth', so if you reread my prior email with that in mind, perhaps
you might get a different spin on what I was saying?  But perhaps it is the
other way around, perhaps I am misunderstanding you... I was also assuming
you were not jumping between two different meanings of the word 'poor'.  If
you were, please let me know.  I assumed you were always using it to mean
impoverished.

At any rate, I wasn't attempting to muddy things by playing on the ambiguity
of the term 'poor'.  So for instance, 'poor Arnold' is meant as 'Arnold
lacks money', just as I took you to mean that 'poor violinist' meant 'there
exists a person and this person plays the violin and also lacks money'.
 Lacking money isn't modifying the ability to play the violin and the
ability to play the violin isn't modifying the lack of money - hence my
comment about 'poor' and 'violinist' referring in parallel but not to each
other.  Whereas with 'poor person' the lack of money IS modifying the proxy
placeholder that we cognitively create for the unspecified person, and
unlike 'poor violinist' the modification is to a word within the sentence -
via the proxy status of the word 'person'; contrast this with 'poor
violinist' where the cognitive modification is to an object outside the
sentence.  I should mention that I am not speaking of things
here grammatically, obviously in a grammatical sense the adjective 'poor'
modifies the noun 'violinist'.  To me, 'violinist' is really an adjective
noun combination in disguise:  Cognitively, it unpacks to something like
'violin-playing person'.

'poor violinist' -> 'wealth-lacking violin-playing person'
whereas
'poor person' = 'poor person'.  In this case there is nothing to unpack as
the cognitive proxy is already part of the sentence.

Perhaps I am devolving into an implicit Russellian stance unknowingly here
(the king of france is bald... etc...) but I don't think so.  My point isn't
that utterances need to be properly unpacked to determine truth values, what
I was saying was that the analogy between 'poor violinist' and 'true
sentence' was a poor one due to the implicit way that we treat descriptive
nouns like 'violinist', and that if 'poor person' was used instead, then the
comparison with 'true sentence' becomes more apt - 'sentence' and 'person'
being closer in relation to one another in that they are empty cognitive
vessels that we fill with specifics, whereas 'violinist' already comes with
a specific attached.

So... ''S' is true' says nothing more than merely asserting 'S'" - this is
where I lose the deflationary viewpoint.  The proposition 'S', until
specifics are provided, is an empty cognitive placeholder.  As such, one of
the specifics that we can attach to 'S' is that it is true.  This allows us
to speak about the structure of 'S' before it is ever
asserted/uttered/specified and as such there must be something going on
which a deflationary theory cannot account for.  Therefore it makes sense to
view truth as a property of a proposition, at least relative to the knower.
 And if this stipulation is necessary to account for truth (as some may know
'S' is true and other may not even know what 'S' is, much less whether it is
true or not) then truth must be an actual property of our relation to the
proposition, and thus standing objectively OUTSIDE us, if not a property
residing in the proposition itself.  So, if truth resides outside us as a
property of reality then deflation cannot hold, despite a deflationists
appeal to the idea that the notion of deflation is not supposed to apply to
"meta" propositions of the form ''S' is true'.

I have a suspicion that I am entirely missing the intent of your initial
post, if so, please set me straight!

--
Pentabarf #5: A Discordian is Prohibited from Believing What he reads.