[hist-analytic] Deflationary Truth and Syncategoremata

Scott Holbrook scott.holbrook at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 08:26:55 EST 2010

This is probably moving away from deflationary-truth, but...

I'm somewhat unclear about what constitutes an "isolated word" (if such a
thing is even possible) and how syntax (which I take to deal with the merely
the arrangement of symbols, in the case of sentences the syntax involves
words and puncuation) could be relevant for a "word in isolation."  Or, how
an "isolated word" can even have a syntactical position...

I can think of three ways, off-hand, to "isolate" a word.  None of them get
very far...

1)  Perhaps some alien spacecraft is discovered and only a single "a string
of letters arranged by concatenation" remained in some obscure, well
protected, place on the hull (all other markings have eroded).  So we have,
supposedly, a single word from an alien language.  And here, of course, the
obvious question is why we should count this string of symbols as a word?
(And a less obvious question, can we imagine that our artwork could be
mistaken for words by an alien...that walls of art were sentences, galleries
were chapters and museums were novels?)  I just don't see how, without
*something
else*, we can legitimately say that this symbolic conglomerate is a word
(other than ex hypothesi).  Sadly, it seems that once I bring in the
something else, that the isolation has been lifted.  (note:  Knowing that
they have language, (which an interstellar craft suggests they do) is not
the same as knowing what constitutes the language (e.g., the markings may be
the result of an industrial process used to make the crafts)...another
example, the aliens in Avatar had no written language, nor a need for
one...strictly speaking, they didn't need to use any meduim of communication
accessible to human senses.)

2)  I'm driving through the Mohavi Desert, I happen to glance up and the
letters "CAT" are on a billboard, in the middle of nowhere.  Now, if I don't
understand English, I may presume that "CAT" is a word (or they may presume
it's some crazy American artwork).  If I do know English, then I'm certain
that "CAT" is (or could be) a word.  The question, however, is whether or
not the wordhoodness of "CAT" was determined in isolation...and I don't
think that it was.  In the former case, there's really no way to claim that
"CAT" is a word (anymore than "aDOJFGHDAofa" is a word).  In the later case,
authority for identifying this word comes from an indefinite amount of other
words than CAN surround it.  That is, we don't recognize wordhoodness as
being some intrinsic feature of "CAT," we remove it from it's "isolation"
and realize (in a flash, for native speakers) a host of possible "syntactic
fits" lots of which have meaning but some that don't.  A related issue is
knowing that the string of letters on a particualr sign is the name of town,
having never known a town of that name existed.

3)  An off the wall interjection, or reply, in a conversation.  For example