[hist-analytic] Knowing that I know a Necessary Truth

Danny Frederick danny.frederick at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 29 14:08:38 EST 2010

Hi Landspeedrecord,

<<no identity involving empirical entities, abstract or otherwise, can be
viewed as being involved in a necessary relationship.  Not the sort of
ironclad capital 'N' necessity that philosophy calls for>>

I think you are confusing necessity with certainty. Take 'Hesperus =
Phosphorus,' for example. If it is true it is a necessary truth (assuming
Hesperus exists). But we could end up finding out that Hesperus is not
Phosphorus after all. The claim is still falsifiable and uncertain even
though it is necessary if true.

Danny