[hist-analytic] Descriptive Metaphysics and Analyticity

Danny Frederick danny.frederick at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 28 12:22:47 EST 2011

Hi Roger,

I just took a look at the opening pages of 'Individuals.' The position seems
to me to be this. Although descriptive metaphysics is a product of analysis,
it is an analysis of 'our actual conceptual scheme' (Strawson seems to think
we have only one of those). Since he also thinks that alternative
'revisionary' conceptual schemes are possible, he would have, I think, to
say that the propositions of descriptive metaphysics are not analytic. They
are just ones we feel at home with.

Danny