[hist-analytic] Descriptive Metaphysics and Analyticity

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Fri Jan 28 11:44:37 EST 2011

He wrote so much, Sir Peter, that I wouldn't know! He did author a book on
"Analysis", as I recall (*) So I would bet he would think they were, those
truths, analytic.
On the other hand, he was perhaps a Kantian (or  neo-Kantian), so perhaps
he found that those truths were prerequisites for  something being an
analytic or a synthetic truth. More like a 'transcendental'  thing.
Of course, you know who (Herbert P. G., the philosopher who taught Sir
Peter and collaborated with him) held similar views.
The distinction,  'revisionary' vs. 'descriptive' is a good one,
incidentally. Of course Herbert  P. G. made much of the fact that we do not know what
we _are_ describing  ("ontological categories", "grammatical categories",
and so on).  Speranza

----

(*) I append below the amazon.com books reviews for  Strawson's "Metapysics
and analysis"
"One of the clearest and most accessible  discussions of the main tenets of
'analytic' philosophy."--Chris Slupik,  University of Wisconsin--Oshkosh
"Excellent introduction to contemporary  Anglo-American
philosophy."--Manuel Davenport, Texas A & M
"Thorough,  concise, easy to read. An excellent thought-provoking primer
for an advanced  undergraduate course on current problems in
metaphysics."--S.N. Fratantaro,  Providence College
"I used this book because I wanted students to have  something solid and
meaty to work on in the way of philosophical argumentation.  After they had
mastered the nuts and bolts of reasoning, I found the encounter  with a mature
thinker very satisfying."--Mary M. Mulhern, Drexel University
"The book provides a valuable account of contemporary analytic philosophy
and consequently would be useful to upper-division undergraduates, graduate
students, and faculty members who are unfamiliar with the analytic
tradition in  philosophy."--Choice

All developed human beings possess a practical  mastery of a vast range of
concepts, including such basic structural notions as  those of identity,
truth, existence, material objects, mental states, space, and  time; but a
practical mastery does not entail theoretical understanding. It is  that
understanding which philosophy seeks to achieve. In this book, one of the  most
distinguished of living philosophers, assuming no previous knowledge of the
subject on the part of the reader, sets out to explain and illustrate a
certain  conception of the nature of analytical philosophy. Strawson draws on his
many  years of teaching at Oxford University, during which he refined and
developed  what he regards as the most productive route to understanding the
fundamental  structure of human thinking. Among the distinctive features of
his exposition  are the displacement of an older, reductive conception of
philosophical method  (the ideal of "analyzing" complex ideas into simpler
elements) in favor of  elucidating the interconnections between the complex but
irreducible notions  which form the basic structure of our thinking; and the
demonstration that the  three traditionally distinguished departments of
metaphysics (ontology),  epistemology, and logic are but three aspects of one
unified enquiry. Strawson  has produced an elegant work that will be
invaluable to students and stimulating  for professional philosophers and general
readers alike.

Paperback: 160  pages Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA (June 4,
1992) Language:  English ISBN-10: 0198751184 ISBN-13: 978-0198751182

One online review: "Insightful, but Not Introductory, July 14, 2006
By  TiZ - "Sir Peter Strawson was one of the finest analytic philosophers
of the  twentieth century, and his "Analysis and Metaphyics: An Intoduction
to  Philosophy" is something of a summation of his extraordinary contribution
during  his illustrious career.
In his preface, Strawson states that this book is a  general overview of
philosophy as he understands it. He covers metaphysics,  epistemology and
philosophy of language, and draws insightful connections  between these
subjects.
While he admits that this book is not elementary, he  also insists that it
does not presuppose any previous acquaintance with  philosophy. However, I
think that only the smartest upper-level undergraduates  in philosophy will
begin to understand it.
In my opinion, this book is too  idiosyncratic and too difficult as an
introduction to philosophy. The price  (over $43, at the time of writing this
review) is also very high for such a slim  book.
Therefore, I do not recommend this book as an introduction to  philosophy
for those who have had no exposure to the subject. However, I think  that
some students who are interested in an overview of philosophy from an
important perspective will gain very much from it."

----