[hist-analytic] Materialism and mass as a unit of measurement

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Sun Jan 30 14:27:49 EST 2011

I agree with most, if not all, that Scott says here. Let me just add one thing on 'E=MC^2'. It has many equivalents; but even if you don't "monkey" with other considerations such as introducing Plank's constant, frequency, waver length, etc. your choice of units can make it look different. So, if instead of miles per hour or kilometers you create a unit for 'C' you can see it in different ways. So, e.g., if you take the unit of 'C' to be distant traveled in one unit of time equal to 1, then the formula will come out 'E=M'. In this case, if you take 'M' to be rest mass (the natural and right thing to do) then given that a photon has no rest mass E becomes 0, right off, whence 'MC^2=0' *in this case*; in fact 'MC^2=M' (Tautologically 'M=M' iff 'E=MC^2') where M is greater than 0 and the unit for 'C' is 1). In other words, there are a lot of things you can do algebraically.

Let me "core dump" my immediate and, so far, hidden agenda. I think that minds are not in the head; to this extent I am a Cartesian, that is, minds are like meaning (vide Putnam, Burge, et al). I think that choice and probability are very different notions and relate differently to causation. The former, not the latter, is embedded even in the mathematics concerned with distance. Choice is involved in the concept of a limit in a certain way: recall 'as close as you like' in the df. of a limit? If, for example, you use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to calculate the area under a function using antiderivatives, all derivatives are limits and there is an element of choice, something like choice of units. In my opinion this holds even on the now accepted definition of limits in terms of inequalities. But if you don't use the Fundamental Theorem and, for simple problems, employ a Riemann sum where no limit is involved, STILL there is an element of choice, given that you can get accuracy "as close as you like" depending on how you partition the interval over which the sum is made. So there is what I have in the past called a "norm" even in describing mathematically the laws of classical mechanics etc. I've actually barely begun to examine the role of choice in math and logic. In logic the notion of a domain of interpretation is what might be called a "choice point." I didn't want to bring this up until later. I had better defer comment until I get this clearer.

Regards

Steve Bayne