[hist-analytic] Materialism and mass as a unit of measurement

Scott Holbrook scott.holbrook at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 20:52:57 EST 2011

I know you wanted to defer comments, but here are some things you may want
to consider when getting this clearer.

I think the your using the epsilon-delta definition.  It does have
inequalities and I'm not aware of any other defitnions using inequalities.
But, it should be noted that epsilon-delta defitnion IS the defintion that
says we can get as close as we like to some number (viz. the limit).  (For
any epsilon there exists a delta such that, for all x, if 0 < |x - c| <
delta, then |f(x) - L| < epsilon).  So, that's why it seems that the element
of choice is* also* in the "inequality defintion"...because the two are the
same.

But, what I want to point out is that in the now accepted non-standard
treatment doesn't use any inequalities which, I think , would eliminate the
choice that Steve is talking about.  The reson that "Steve's choice" is
there has, I think, more to do with inequalities than some intrinsic feature
of Calculus.  Inequality solution sets have, most often, more than one
element.  So, in effect, we could choose any element in the solution set and
get a right answer.  I think the Reimann sums are more of the same.  The
choosing of the rectangle width is more less "geting as close as you want."
(the inequality business has actually been the standard for about 200 years
or so, with the work of Bolzano and Cauchy being "arithmetized (i.e.,
formalized) by Weistress)

However, non-standard analysis defines a system of hyper-reals and then sets
the limit EQUAL to the function evaluated with a "non-standard" part.  So,
if it's plausible that the "choice" in Steve's post is an artifact of the
inequalities (as opposed to intrinsic to Calculus), then I'm not sure how
this "choice" is different from the conventionalist's "choice of system."
But, if it is something differnt, something connected with that particulr
way of defining limits, then something needs to be said for the apparent
lack of a similar choice in the non-Standard analysis.

I think there are actually 2 levels of choice here.  One would be the choice
of a system.  I can choose either "epsilon-delta" or "non-standard"
approaches to resolving my Calculus homework. But this doens't seem to have
much to do with the math itself.   Then there would be choices within a
system which would be constrained by the math itself.  I think Steve's
choice might fall here.  Once I decide to use epsilon-delta calculus, then
the inequalities give rise to this "choice."  But If I choose to use
non-standard analysis, then it's gone (and I don't, at present, see where it
may be hidden).

Scott

P.S.  Incidentally, I think there may be some relation here and to his
earlier posts about indeterminacy (the stuff about arrows and not being able
to know where you started).  But I'll need to re-read those posts to make
the connection more lucid to myself.