[hist-analytic] Mele on Effective Intentions Pt. 1

Scott Holbrook scott.holbrook at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 23:19:01 EST 2011

I guess I'd be curious to know what was meant by "a percept that makes
sense" (let alone the "production" of it).  Surely, if this phrase is to be
of any use to neurophysiologists (or an *empirical* anything), it must be
quantifiable in some way, i.e., there must be units of "sense."  (At the
very least, there must some measurable quantity that aggregates into
"sense...so here maybe serotonin is a good example.  There is no unit of
happiness (despite what economists say) yet, when enough serotonin gets
released, people are happy).

And then of course, the question about how the brain knows what "makes
sense" would arise.  It's hard to imagine such a thing being 'hardwired'
from birth.

Are we talking about e.g., when you listen a foregin language, you "hear"
words from your own? (e.g., the Thai word for 'have' is 'me' but I still
find myself thinking of a first person pronoun whenever I hear it.  It gets
even worse when they string pronoun-y words together: "my me nam"- 'No have
water' (There is no water))  But this just seems to be an issue of
familiarity, of habit, almost.  In this case, "percept that makes sense"
sounds more like "something I am comfortable with."  But why should
producing "something I am comfortable with" be the teleological aim of
brains processes (which is certainly how you described the position, brain
processes "struggle" towards the goal of "producing a percept that makes
sense")?

I have to side with Steve.  Such claims seem scientifically "suspect," to
say the least (I thought we had purged teleolgical explanations around the
time of the Modern Philolosophers).

Scott

--
"Conventional people are roused to fury by departures from convention,
largely because they regard such departures as a criticism of themselves."

Listen to tracks from my most recent album at:
www.myspace.com/propheticvyzion