[hist-analytic] Privacy and Anomalous Monism

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Thu Sep 22 12:20:37 EDT 2011

Scott,

Thanks for the comments. Here is a brief reply.

The idea of a "proto-thought" raises a number of questions. I can't really say that I share Dummett's views on the origins of analytical philosophy (what happened to Russell and what's all this stuff about Husserl?). However this issue ties in with another about which Dummett has stated uncertain conclusion(s): whether language is a vehicle of thought or an instrument of communication. I think there is a distinction to be had here; as I recall he is not so sure. Quine believed we attribute attitudes to animals by way of empathy. What it means to attribute to a dog belief that there is one dog in front of him depends on how you view this alleged distinction. The dog may not know that one dog added to three is four dogs but the dog is aware of a dog. (de re belief). Let me comment briefly on he last question I raised, the one about velocity and acceleration you refer back to.

Kim's view is that "mind-body supervenience is *mereological supervenience." (Kim [1998] p. 180). I think there is a difference between the supervenience of qualia and the "reducton" of velocity that is more important than first meets the eye (or brain). The latter may involve the introduction of so-called "Cambridge predicates." This is an enormously complicated issue. At any rate, velocity, if it is a property, "drains" to the lowest micro-level, if Kim is right, whereas qualia supervene upon elements at the micro-level and then drainage takes place downward from that point. I am skeptical of this move. I share Block's concerns on "drainage" but I differ with Block on the notion of "second order" properties, another longish story. There are properties such as certain spatial properties of qualia that do not, in my opinion, supervene. If a single property *of* a property does not supervene, then that property cannot be supervenient. Much of the confusion is over the difference between properties that supervene and objects that may be said to supervene.

There is obscurity in the history of supervenience theory on this matter. Supervenience theory is ten miles deep and a micron wide. Philosophy as Wittgenstein suggests is nonsense but "important nonsense." Dualism may be nonsense, but it is important. Why it is important escapes contemporary physicalists, for the most part. They don't see the importance of "importance" in Wittgenstein's sense.

Regards

STeve Bayne