[hist-analytic] A Mathematical Analogy to Mind/Body Supervenience

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Mon Sep 26 11:43:57 EDT 2011

Scott,

 It might help if I give you the formulation of mind body supervenience which is most well known, although it is an evolving conception.

Here is Kim's 'indiscernibility' definiton:

"Mental properties *supervene* on physical properties in that necessarily any two things...indiscernible in all physical properties are indiscernible in mental properties."

On this definition we can infer that if mental properties are changed then physical properties are changed. When I say "If the limits are changed so, too, is the area" I mean to say that the limits supervene on the area. My last point as I recall was that supervenience no more entails identity or reduction (a major controversy is how "reductionist" is supervenience) than supervenience of limits entails identify of limits on area. This in a nutshell is all that I'm really claiming. Now to address some of your points I do need some idea of which df. of 'supervenience' you have in mind and how this relates to your discussion of the functional relations; supervenience is a special kind of functional relation. Another point I make which I believe important is the matter of "realizers," and here I mean the term in Putnam's sense in his discussion of functionalism.