[hist-analytic] Philosophy as Nonsense

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Mon Oct 10 18:46:15 EDT 2011

A lot of interest to respond to in both Holbrook's and Speranza's response. Allow me a clarification of my own view in light of these remarks as well as indicating a couple of areas of agreement and disagreement. First Speranza.

If we take 'nonsense' to be 'meaninglessness' then the Fregean notion of a sense becomes an issue, but if by 'nonsense' you mean a coherent idea that is inconsistent with common SENSE then Fregean senses are not of immediate concern. My thinking here is that the nonsense at issue may inhabit territory between these two. Plato often uses metaphor and parables. The cave and divided line being good examples as well as the two horses of the Phadrus, etc. I think Plato is trying to say a great deal, but finds it difficult to express all the content he has in mind in the space of philosophical remarks in the context of combination and division.

Let me use an analogy or metaphor of my own. When you are working on small engines or tiny tools you make great use of the "precision grip" (typically). The best way to deal with delicate things manually is this way, most often. But when you work with very large objects the precision grip gives way to more awkward means, and as the tool gets larger you sometimes need a tool to work the tool. Now let's take a look at language. When I am dealing with "delicate" subject matters I employ the "precision grip"; that is, I make use of logic in a careful way. Such delicate matters as providing an alternative to Ramsey sentences (maybe Craig) in dealing with theory terms. Another example is modeling of causative constructions using, say, Montagovian grammar. Very delicate etc. But when my subject matter is indelicate, or when I cannot proceed in the same delicate way as in modeling, I make use of more imaginative and, sometimes, wild constructions. Thus the larger a philosophical issue (in the sense of generality) the more I rely on vagueness and metaphor. I cannot graspo the world in a "precision grip"; this requires tools for large tools. Metaphor is a large tool.

Part of what Wittgenstein is saying is that the more you try to say the more you are drawn into making "nonsensical" statements. The propositions of logic are not nonsense, but applied to they largest "spheres" they all say the same thing: nothing. Similarly, when I try to say something very expansive about "being qua being" (Aristotle) I may be driven towards "nonsense": e.g. matter as pure potentiality. Much is said, but so much in fact that we are in the business of saying something "nonsensical." But this sort of thing is important: it is an expression (or account) of the idea of wonder from which springs philosophy itself. So it is important nonsense: good vs. evil; being vs. nonbeing; good and existence etc. A final point, more linguistic, point.

What constraints are there on what I can INTEND to say. Can I say 'He likes him' with the INTENTION of saying 'He likes himself'? Not at the level of what Jerome Katz calls 'linguistic meaning'. In other words the possibility of intention, when intentions are complex concepts, involves constraint on our mode of representation. Sense in the Fregean sense circumscribe intentions otherwise understood. This is not to reject Grice. Not necessarily. No existential claim is essential to understanding circumscription in this sense. Grice was right about meaning but the point is, primarily, psychological (in the good sense)

Regards

STeve