[hist-analytic] Supervenience and Neutral Monism

Jlsperanza at aol.com Jlsperanza at aol.com
Mon Jan 9 09:05:54 EST 2012

In a message dated 10/11/2011 10:15:23  A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
Baynesr at comcast.net writes about:
"supervenience in a  neutral monist ontology. If anyone knows of  anything
on this, please let me know  (on or off list). If no one has  discussed
this,
I will. I have some thoughts  here related to "cross  classification.""

----You are perfectly right about the 'cut and  paste'! I feel slightly
guilty that I did that too with the previous  link! But good you could
derive
something out of it!

----- I  have now, briefly, googled (did Socrates google? He did!)
'supervenience' and 'neutral monism' and came up with a google.books link,
which
are usually difficult to cut and paste. But here goes the  reference for
the
first page in google.books for that search  ("supervenience", "neutral
monism"),  below.

So perhaps you can  expand on the cross-classification link, as it were.

Cheers,

Speranza

The human person in science and theology  - Page  161
books.google.com
Niels Henrik Gregersen, Willem B. Drees,  Ulf  Görman - 2000 - 218 pages -
Preview

"As appears from the  latter definition, holist supervenience theory
retains
the priority of the  physical  substructure."

*********************************
"In  contrast to physicalism, however, holistic supervenience theory
supports a neutral monism, that is, the doctrine ..."

Physicalism and  mental causation: the metaphysics of mind and action -
Page
99
books.google.com
Sven Walter, Heinz-Dieter Heckmann - 2003 -  362  pages - Preview
"If all Neutral Monism took this form, the revision  I have  just made
would
not be necessary. Another way of expressing the  worry that NM  strong
supervenience does not provide a proper  characterisation of Materialism
concerns
the case of  ..."

Mental causation and the metaphysics of mind: a reader - Page   261
books.google.com
Neil Campbell - 2003 -

"The underlying  reality may be found in ethereal forms, ... strong
supervenience  necessitates weak supervenience, but not conversely....
"James
Cornman's "neutral monism" is rather."

Philosophy of Mind: A  Comprehensive Introduction - Page  130
books.google.com
William  Jaworski - 2011 -
"Supervenience is compatible with a broad range of very  different
theories:
physicalism, dual-attribute theory, neutral monism,  hylomorphism. This
suggests  that supervenience is not by itself  sufficient to characterize a
physicalist  ..."

Modality and mind  - Page  205
books.google.com
Stephen Thomas Biggs, The University  of  Arizona. Philosophy - 2007 -
"Supervenience physicalism holds that  the correlation results from mere
metaphysical supervenience of  phenomenal on physical ... Neutral monism
also
merits consideration.  Future work should review that position in this
context.   ..."

Philosophie et culture: actes du XVIIe Congrès mondial de ...:  Volume 2
books.google.com
Venant Cauchy - 1988 -
"Although the  supervenience of main interest to us here is that of
properties, there  is a concept of ontological ... Note that strong
supervenience
necessitates weak supervenience, but not conversely.3 James Cornman's
"neutral  monism" is ..."

The Blackwell guide to philosophy of  mind - Page  20
books.google.com
Stephen P. Stich, Ted A. Warfield -  2003 -
"There are two possibilities: that the mental is conceptually  reducible
to,
or supervenes on something non-physical. While the latter  position is an
option,  it has not been occupied. However, neutral  monism, the view that
the
mental and  ..."

Evolution and  creativity: a new dialogue between faith and   ...
books.google.com
South African Science and Religion Forum.   Seminar, C. W. Du Toit,
Research
Institute for Theology and Religion -
"In contrast to physicalism, however, holistic supervenience theory
supports a neutral monism, that is, the doctrine that all of reality
ultimately
forms a unity which can neither be described nor be  sufficiently explained
in
either ..."

Mind that abides:  panpsychism in the new  millennium
books.google.com
David Skrbina -  2009
"One is idealism – matter reducing to, or supervenient on, mind. Though  a
decidedly minority view these days, ... We could adopt a neutral  monism,
along  with its accompanying burdens of explaining how both the  mental and
the
physical  ..."

The Routledge Dictionary of  Philosophy - Page  264
books.google.com
Michael Proudfoot, Alan  Robert Lacey - 2010 -
"Neutral monism is a particular doctrine claiming that  physical and mental

phenomena can both be analysed in terms of a ...  See also SUPERVENIENCE,
DUALISM  . D. Davidson, 'Mental events', in L.  Foster and JW Swanson
(eds),
Experience  and ..."