Index for Chapter XXVII
Of Identity and Diversity
- 1. Wherein identity consists.
- 2. Identity of substances.
- 3. Principium Individuationis.
- 4. Identity of vegetables.
- 5. Identity of animals.
- 6. The identity of man.
- 7. Idea of identity suited to the idea it is applied to.
- 8. Same man.
- 9. Personal identity.
- 10. Consciousness makes personal identity.
- 11. Personal identity in change of substance.
- 12. Personality in change of substance.
- 13. Whether in change of thinking substances there can be one
- 14. Whether, the same immaterial substance remaining, there can be
- 15. The body, as well as the soul, goes to the making of a man.
- 16. Consciousness alone unites actions into the same person.
- 17. Self depends on consciousness, not on substance.
- 18. Persons, not substances, the objects of reward and punishment.
- 19. Which shows wherein personal identity consists.
- 20. Absolute oblivion separates what is thus forgotten from the
person, but not from the man.
- 21. Difference between identity of man and of person.
- 22. But is not a man drunk and sober the same person?
- 23. Consciousness alone unites remote existences into one person.
- 24. Not the substance with which the consciousness may be united.
- 25. Consciousness unites substances, material or spiritual, with the
- 26. "Person" a forensic term.
- 27. Suppositions that look strange are pardonable in our
- 28. The difficulty from ill use of names.
- 29. Continuance of that which we have made to he our complex idea of
man makes the same man.
HTML by created 1994/10/29 modified 2015-06-14