Index for Chapter XI
Of the Remedies of the Foregoing Imperfectionsand Abuses of Words
- 1. Remedies are worth seeking.
- 2. Are not easy to find.
- 3. But yet necessary to those who search after truth.
- 4. Misuse of words the great cause of errors.
- 5. Has made men more conceited and obstinate.
- 6. Addicted to wrangling about sounds.
- 7. Instance, bat and bird.
- 8. Remedies.
- 9. Second remedy:
- 10. And distinct and conformable ideas in words that stand for
- 11. Third remedy:
- 12. Fourth remedy:
- 13. And that in three ways.
- 14. I.
- 15. II.
- 16. Morality capable of demonstration.
- 17. Definitions can make moral discourses clear.
- 18. And is the only way in which the meaning of mixed modes can be
- 19. III.
- 20. Ideas of the leading qualities of substances are best got by
- 21. And can hardly be made known otherwise.
- 22. The Ideas of the powers of substances are best known by
- 23. A reflection on the knowledge of corporeal things possessed by
spirits separate from bodies.
- 24. IV Ideas of substances must be conformable to things.
- 25. Not easy to be made so.
- 26. V.
- 27. When not so used, the variation is to he explained.
HTML by created 1994/10/29 modified 2015-06-14