Index for Chapter III
Of the Extent of Human Knowledge
- 1. Extent of our knowledge.
- 2. It extends no further than we can perceive their agreement or
- 3. Intuitive knowledge extends itself not to all the relations of
all our ideas.
- 4. Nor does demonstrative knowledge.
- 5. Sensitive knowledge narrower than either.
- 6. Our knowledge, therefore, narrower than our ideas.
- 7. How far our knowledge reaches.
- 8. Our knowledge of identity and diversity in ideas extends as far
as our ideas themselves.
- 9. Of their co-existence, extends only a very little way.
- 10. Because the connexion between simple ideas in substances is
for the most part unknown.
- 11. Especially of the secondary qualities of bodies.
- 12. Because necessary connexion between any secondary and the
primary qualities is undiscoverable by us.
- 13. We have no perfect knowledge of their primary qualities.
- 14. And seek in vain for certain and universal knowledge of
unperceived qualities in substances.
- 15. Of repugnancy to co-exist, our knowledge is larger.
- 16. Our knowledge of the co-existence of powers in bodies extends
but a very little way.
- 17. Of the powers that co-exist in spirits yet narrower.
- 18. Of relations between abstracted ideas it is not easy to say
how far our knowledge extends.
- 19. Two things have made moral ideas to be thought incapable of
- 20. Remedies of our difficulties in dealing demonstratively with
- 21. Of the three real existences of which we have certain knowledge.
- 22. Our ignorance great.
- 23. One cause of our ignorance want of ideas.
- 24. Want of simple ideas that men are capable of having, but have
not, because of their remoteness.
- 25. Because of their minuteness.
- 26. Hence no science of bodies within our reach.
- 27. Much less a science of unembodied spirits.
- 28. Another cause, want of a discoverable connexion between ideas we
- 29. Instances.
- 30. A third cause, want of tracing our ideas.
- 31. Extent of human knowledge in respect to its universality.
HTML by created 1994/10/29 modified 2015-06-14