Index for Chapter XX
Of Wrong Assent, or Error
- 1. Causes of error, or how men come to give assent contrary to
- 2. First cause of error, want of proofs.
- 3. Objection.
- 4. People hindered from inquiry.
- 5. Second cause of error, want of skill to use proofs.
- 6. Third cause of error, want of will to use them.
- 7. Fourth cause of error, wrong measures of Probability.
- 8. I.
- 9. Instilled in childhood.
- 10. Of irresistible efficacy.
- 11. II.
- 12. III.
- 13. Two means of evading probabilities:
- 14. Supposed unknown arguments for the contrary.
- 15. What probabilities naturally determine the assent.
- 16. Where it is in our power to suspend our judgment.
- 17. IV.
- 18. Not so many men in errors as is commonly supposed.
HTML by created 1994/10/29 modified 2015-06-14